Pages

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love. ~Author Unknown

Friday, August 13, 2010

Half of a whole


Six months ago today (around this very time of day in fact) I became 1/2 of a betrothed couple.

When I look back on that day, it's just as perfect as ever in my mind. Throughout adolescence, you wonder the way in which you will get engaged. A scavenger hunt? A romantic dinner? On the Kiss Me cam at the game? The element that was so special about my engagement was how thoroughly Dillon planned the day, and the fact that he was still nervous even though he already knew I'd say yes.

That day was one of the happiest of my life. For someone to accept you wholly for who you are and to choose to love and commit to you, forever... that's quite a feeling. Since the engagement, our days have ranged from equally as happy to downright difficult. The stress that exists in some parts of my life right now is as thick as syrup, certainly moreso than I've ever known. Without Dillon pulling me through the muck over the last month, praying with me and blanketing me with support, some days I would be laboring hard just to take a calm, deep breath. And for the first time, I realize that it's okay to acknowledge that.

I'm the lone half of the couple with diamonds on my ring finger for now. But I'm far from alone. I still have a great family. And now, I have a pillar of a partner who is sharing the load and helping me lift buckets of cement as we pour a brand new, strong foundation for the life we will start together...not too far away now.

For the whole proposal story, you can visit mywedding.com/dillonandchristianne and click on 'Our Story.'

2 comments: